Senior Java Developer
- 5+ years commercial experience with Java development
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a technical field of study
- Track record of working in Scrum / Agile software teams
- Proficient spoken and written English
- Design, build, and maintain efficient, reusable, and reliable Java server-side code
- Integrate data storage solutions, which may include databases, key-value stores, blob stores, etc.
- Integrate user-facing elements developed by front-end developers through server-side logic
- Identify and resolve bottlenecks and bugs
- Help maintain code quality, organization, and automatization
- Support with Scrum / Agile software development approach (e.g., sprint, standups, retros, planning, pointing, grooming, etc.)
- Java 8
- Experience in machine translation and Natural Language Processing (NLP)
- Spring Core, Security, MVC, Data JPA
- MS SQL
- Git or equivalent
About Our Client
- Our client provides universities with a cloud-based platform that supports the student application process. Using the platform, students submit their applications, test scores, and recommendations to the platform. Then, the universities can rank order the student applicants, pick their favorite applicants, schedule interviews, and manage the process of selecting students.
- This platform currently processes millions of applications every year.
- Our client is a large, well-funded business that is primarily located in Boston, MA in the United States. The client’s company is 10 years old with over 1,000 employees.
About the Project
- Our team will be involved in building “Version 3” -- the new version of the platform.
- One goal of Version 3 is reconstructing the popular platform using modern technologies (e.g., Angular, Java, Ruby, etc.), thereby eliminating technical debt that was inherited from the past.
- The project is very large and involves about 100 engineers from around the world.
- Newfire Partners has several scrum teams on the project and is growing because our previous successes. The founders of Newfire Partners are hands-on with this client and the project -- ensuring success and helping avoid misunderstandings.
- The project is managed with typical Scrum / Agile methodologies. The Boston-based product owners are very strong, and the project has a rich backlog.
- Some Newfire Partners team members will occasionally travel to Boston to meet with the client. (If needed, Newfire Partners can help secure the appropriate travel visas.)